Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students
Scholarship Type: Masters, Ph.D.,
The Rhodes Scholarships are postgraduate awards supporting exceptional all-round students at the University of Oxford. Established in the will of Cecil Rhodes in 1902, the Rhodes is the oldest and perhaps the most prestigious international scholarship program in the world.
For students who are not for existing Rhodes constituencies, you can apply to Global Rhodes Scholarships.
Host/Host country/Host Institution: Oxford University, UK
- Eligible Courses/Subjects: Subject to limited restrictions, Rhodes Scholars may study any full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Oxford.
- Eligible Countries: Students from Australia, Bermuda, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jamaica & the Commonwealth Caribbean, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Southern Africa (including South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland), Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Palestine (SJLP), United Arab Emirates, United States, West Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Eligible Criteria: The following eligibility criteria apply to all applicants for the Rhodes Scholarships:
- Citizenship & residency:Each applicant must fulfill the citizenship and residency requirements of the Rhodes constituency for which they are applying. Please check the detailed information carefully via the country links.
- Age:Age limits vary between constituencies and range from a minimum age limit of 18 to a maximum of 28 by 1 October of the year following selection. In most constituencies, the age limit is 24 or 25. Please check carefully the specific age requirements for your constituency before applying. Successful candidates will arrive in Oxford the October following the selection process. The Scholarship may not normally be deferred.
- Education:All applicants must have achieved academic standing sufficiently advanced to assure completion of a bachelor’s degree by the October following election. Academic standing must be sufficiently high to ensure admission to the University of Oxford, which has very competitive entry requirements, and to give confidence that Rhodes Scholars will perform to a high academic standard in Oxford. Individual constituencies may specify a 1st or equivalent. Some constituencies require an undergraduate degree to have been taken within the constituency of application.
Scholarship Number: A class of 95 Scholars is selected each year
Scholarship Value: A Rhodes scholarship covers:
All University and College fees; the University application fee; a living stipend (£15,144 per annum 2018-19); one economy class airfare to Oxford at the start of the scholarship and one economy flight back to the student’s home country at the conclusion of the scholarship.
The basic tenure of the scholarship is two years, subject always, and at all times, to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct.
How to Apply
All candidates for the Scholarship should read the information about the Scholarships in the country-specific page to read the application criteria, eligibility requirements, and deadline specific to their country.
Applications for Rhodes Scholarships open during the spring and summer of the preceding year. Deadline varies per country but is around July-October of the preceding year you wish to study.
Application Deadline: varies, July-Oct (annual)