This is to bring to the notice of the public that the new Free University of Berlin – China Scholarship Council FUB-CSC PhD Program is at the present available on offer to study in Germany for the year 2019. These scholarship positions are open for Chinese students only.
The Beijing Liaison organization was established in 2007. As a representative office of Freie Universität Berlin, the focal point of the Liaison Office’s work is to augment the consciousness of the university in China and Hong Kong, as well as to hold up local scientists and instigate new partnership projects in the People’s Republic. There is also a exceptional center of attention on the enrollment and selection of qualified junior scientists who come to Berlin with scholarships from the China Scholarship Council.
It is not a setback to do your PhD studies in English, particularly in Sciences. This year’s (2019) PhD program offers English as a prerequisite. In certain areas, German is not mandatory and helpful like in Philosophy or German Studies. It is more often than not dependent on the thesis’ subject and on the endorsement of the candidate’s supervisor. Please verify the list with the offered PhD positions and see the vital language skills.
Description of Scholarship
- Deadline for Applications: Jan 4, 2019
- Course Level: The CSC offers two types of Scholarships:
- Full PhD studies:Scholarships for full PhD studies leading to a doctoral degree, awarded by Freie Universität Berlin. Length of the CSC scholarship: 3 – 4 years.
- Sandwich PhD studies:Scholarships for candidates who are previously doctoral students in China. Following the self-styled ‘Sandwich Model’, Chinese PhD candidates can do PhD research both at the home college in China and at Freie Universität Berlin. The PhD title will eventually be conferred by the Chinese university. Length of the CSC scholarship: 1-2 years.
- Study Subject: Each year in September, Freie Universität Berlin offers a broad number of open PhD positions in a range of research areas for CSC candidates who want to carry out their research in Berlin with a CSC scholarship.
- Scholarship Value: There are only 320 EUR to pay per semester by each student, as an enrollment and semester payment fee but this includes also a Berlin public transportation ticket.
- Nationality: These scholarship positions are open for Chinese students only.
- Number of Scholarships: 30 – 40 open PhD positions – both offering a well-defined research project – are listed on the website under the FUB-CSC Program.
- Scholarship will be taken in Germany
- Countries Eligible: These scholarship positions are open for Chinese students only.
To be fit to apply, Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Please check the terms and conditions of the CSC scholarship and read carefully the information given by the China Scholarship Council.
|Scheme 1 (Full-time PhD study)||Scholarships for a full-time PhD study project pursued at Freie Universität Berlin and leading to a doctoral degree of Freie Universität.
Ø Length of the scholarship: 3-4 years.
Ø Scholarship holders beneath Scheme 1 sign up at Freie Universität Berlin as doctoral students. Their research will be supervised by a professor of Freie Universität. (Some of the supervisors are researchers at a non-university research organization and also professors of FUB.)
Ø If the students successfully complete all necessities and defend their thesis, they will be awarded a PhD / doctoral degree of Freie Universität Berlin.
|Scheme 2 (Part-time PhD research stay)||Scholarships for a research stay, following the self-styled “Sandwich Model”
Ø Length of the scholarship: 1-2 years.
Ø According to the Sandwich Model, a Chinese PhD candidate will do PhD research both, at the home university in China and at Freie Universität Berlin.
Ø Supervision of the PhD candidate is ensured by a Chinese and a German professor.
Ø The first year of the PhD course will be pursued at the Chinese university. The PhD students then complete one to two years of research at Freie Universität Berlin and return to China for project conclusion.
Ø The PhD title will eventually be conferred by the Chinese university.
Requirements for English Language: It’s not a setback to do your PhD studies in English, predominantly in Sciences. This year’s (2019) PhD offers English as a prerequisite.
- Very good English: If English language is the language of instruction for PhD studies, ten no former knowledge of German is mandatory in the following disciplines: Biology, Biomedicine, Chemistry, Pharmacy, Earth Sciences, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Earth Sciences and Veterinary Medicine.
English Certificate: IELTS certificate with a total score of 5 points OR TOEFL certificate with a total score of 95 points.
- Very good German: If German is the language of instruction for PhD studies. frequently in Humanities and Social Sciences but depending on the professors’ requirements.
German Certificate: TestDaF certificate with at least the grade 4 in all four parts and a total score of at least 16 points OR DSH-2 certificate.
Test Requirements: Freie Universität Berlin does not identify the CET. The test is not acknowledged outside China. The CSC also requires an IELTS or TOEFL test.
Procedures for Application
How to Apply: Two applications are compulsory (to Freie Universität and the CSC):
Application 1: Application to FUB to obtain the required Invitation Letter for the CSC, issued by the university in the structure of the FUB-CSC Program (not issued by the professor): FUB is advising about the program and the open positions, offered by the professors, as well as of processing the applications. Each application is to be submitted to FUB (not to the professor) by January 4, 2019.
Application 2: Application to the CSC for a PhD scholarship: After being contacted, interviewed and received by the professor (between the end of January and mid of February), an Invitation Letter will be issued by Freie Universität Berlin / global Office (not by the professor) to applicants in the structure of the FUB-CSC Program
NB: all received PhD candidates will receive the Invitation Letter by the end of February 2019.
For more information, visit the Scholarship Link