Chemistry: Fully Funded Welsh-medium PhD Scholarship at Swansea University
This scholarship is funded by the ColegCymraegCenedlaethol (50%) and Swansea University’s Chemistry Department (50%).
Chemistry: Fully Funded ColegCymraegCenedlaethol PhD Scholarship: Radical Organic Electronics: Organic Radical Devices with Polarised Doublet Emission
Host Institution/Country/Host:SwanseaUniversity, Swansea, Wales.
- Eligible Courses or Subjects: Chemistry, Radical Organic Electronics
- Project Supervisors:
- In this project, the photo- and spin physics of polarised light emission in radical materials will be investigated for organic electronics. Unlike most organic materials which contain all-paired electronics, the radicals’ unpaired electron has a quantum mechanical property called spin which gives rise to magnetism and ‘doublet’ character. We have shown that their spin properties can be combined with strong luminescence to make highly efficient organic light-emitting diodes for converting electricity to light [1,2]: more efficient than non-radical counterparts that have been used to date. The student will explore novel functionality to advance the state of the art in organic optoelectronics.
-  Ai, X, Evans, E. W., Dong, S., Gillett, A. J., Guo, H., Chen, Y., Hele, T. J. H., Friend, R. H., Li, F., Nature, 2018, 563, 536-540.https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0695-9
-  Abdurahman, A., Hele, T. J. H., Gu, Q., Zhang, J., Peng, Q., Zhang, M., Friend, R. H., Li, F., Evans, E. W. Nature Materials, 2020.https://www.nature.com/articles/s41563-020-0705-9
As a condition of the Scholarship the doctoral dissertation is expected to be researched and written in Welsh. The Scholarship holder will be expected to undertake some Welsh medium teaching within the Chemistry Department.
- Eligible Criteria: Candidates should;
- Hold a minimum of an upper second class (2:1) honors degree: Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, Engineering or related subjects.
- As a condition of the Scholarship the doctoral dissertation is expected to be researched and written in Welsh. The Scholarship holder will be expected to undertake some Welsh medium teaching within the Chemistry Department.
Scholarship Benefits: Funding is available for a three-year fully funded scholarship from the ColegCymraeg / Swansea University, which covers tuition fees and an annual stipend of £15,285.
How to Apply: Please visit our website for more information.Apply Now
Application Deadline: 1 April 2021