This is to bring to the notice of the public that the SOAS University of London is offering Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships for any full-time MPhil/PhD program where the student will be working on some facet of Japanese Studies.
The SOAS University of London is the leading Higher Education institution in Europe specializing in the study of Asia, Africa and the near Middle East.
With our enormous depository of knowledge and expertise on our specialist regions, we are exclusively placed to inform and shape current thinking about the economic, political, cultural, security and religious challenges of our world.
Description of Scholarship
- Closing date for Applications: May 1, 2019.
- Degree level: Scholarships are available to those who seek to pursue MPhil/PhD research.
- Field of Study: Any full-time MPhil/PhD program where the student will be working on some aspect of Japanese Studies.
NB: Part-time programs are not qualified.
- Scholarship Award: There are two Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships available. Each scholarship is valued at £7,000 in total.
- Nationalities: Open to UK/EU and Overseas applicants.
- Number of Scholarship: Two scholarships are available.
- Scholarship will be taken in the UK.
- Open to UK/EU and Overseas applicants
- Current PhD students at SOAS or newly enrolling full-time MPhil students with an offer of admission are eligible. Newly enrolling MPhil students may be given preference.
- It is important that your referees remark on your skill in Japanese in the areas of reading, composition and speaking.
- Applicant must possess an MA degree from SOAS or an equivalent institution in a relevant subject.
- Candidates must have an offer of admission by the scholarships’ deadline.
- Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2019) must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2019. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
Requirements for English Language: Applicants whom English is not their first language are frequently required to make available proof of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Procedures for Application
STEP1: Apply for the scholarship by 16:00 (UK local time) on 1 May 2019.
You can apply for this scholarship via the online application form which will open HERE on 23 January 2019.
Current SOAS MPhil/PhD students only: In addition to the on-line scholarship application form, you will also need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees together with a copy of your completed scholarship application form. The Meiji Jingu reference form can be downloaded from the top right hand corner of this page from 23 January 2019.
STEP 2: Apply for your program
In addition to the on-line scholarship application, new applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2019), must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a degree program at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, a personal statement and a research proposal. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
NB: It is recommended to apply for the program about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 20 March 2019).
Visit the Scholarship Link for more information